Happy Fair Use/Fair Dealing Week!
To celebrate Fair Use Week 2018, ARL has released a new infographic in keeping with the tradition of releasing a new fair use infographic each year. While we often celebrate fair use in terms of the ways in which a user relies on existing information (such as the 2016 infographic, Fair Use in a Day in the Life of a College Student), this year we’re celebrating how fair use contributes to the creation of new knowledge.
For example, fair use promotes:
- More accurate news reporting
- Creation of innovative products, such as searchable databases
- New art, including appropriation art
- New content, such as user-generated content like fan fiction, remix songs and mash-up videos
- Better documentary information, including in films or websites
- Innovative ways to share information
- New interoperable software, made possible through reverse engineering
- Contributions to new scholarship
This year’s infographic, Fair Use Promotes the Creation of New Knowledge is available here, along with infographics from previous years. You can also check out lots of great content and resources on the Fair Use/Fair Dealing Week website.